- On 23 January 2022, the U.S. Department of State authorized the voluntary departure of certain Embassy personnel and ordered the departure of eligible family members from Embassy Kyiv due to the continued threat of Russian military action. State continues to recommend that U.S. citizens in Ukraine consider departing now using commercial or other privately available transportation options.
- Global Guardian clients with expats in Ukraine should strongly consider leaving the country while commercial flight options remain available, as airspace is likely to SHUT DOWN in the event of a Russian invasion.
- In the event of war, the Ukrainian government could seize private security company equipment and draft personnel into the military, limiting the ability to evacuate overland or even arrange secure transportation to the airport.
- The Russian stock market has crashed and is down more than 15% since the start of the year as investors begin to price in both conflict and economic sanctions.
- The UK accused Russia of plotting to overthrow the Ukrainian government and install a pro-Moscow leader, naming former Ukrainian MP Yevhen Murayev as a potential candidate, alleging that he was in contact with Russian intelligence. Russia has denied these claims.
- There are over 100,000 Russian troops staged in multiple locations near Ukraine’s borders, including in Belarus. Divisions from the far east of Russia have moved in toward Ukraine, signaling an invasion may be near. U.S. intelligence assesses that this number could rapidly swell to 175,000 should President Putin make the decision to invade Ukraine.
- The UK, U.S., and other nations continue to provide military equipment to Ukraine; however, no troop commitments have been made.
- Diplomatic talks continue between the U.S. and Russia; however, little progress appears to have been made.
- Global Guardian recommends against non-essential travel to Ukraine.
- Expats should consider leaving Ukraine while commercial flights remain available.
- Those who remain in-country should prepare emergency supplies.
Our team can respond immediately with the following capabilities:
- Bespoke intelligence reports and briefings
- Armed or unarmed security personnel
- Satellite communications (phone and wireless internet)
- Emergency medical and tele-medical support
- Logistical support (food, water, generators, fuel)
- Evacuation by ground, air, or sea
Click below to contact Global Guardian's 24/7 Operations Center or call us directly at +1 (703) 566-9463.