Bodycam footage showing the beating death of Tyre Nichols at the hands of five Memphis, TN police officers is expected to be released in the coming days, possibly as early as this afternoon (Thursday 26 Jan). Police departments, private businesses, and civilian leadership are gearing up across the country for possible unrest in reaction to the video.
- Tyre Nichols was beaten by five Memphis police officers following a traffic stop on 07 January 2023. He died from his injuries in hospital three days later.
- The officers involved were fired by the Memphis Police Department on 20 January following an internal investigation.
- Criminal charges may yet be filed against the officers, as the City of Memphis is reportedly seeking a Grand Jury indictment against the officers involved. The footage is likely to be released if and when the indictment moves forward.
- Previous incidents of police brutality have led to both localized and widespread unrest in the U.S., most notably during the summer of 2020 following the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who was convicted of his murder.
- Anecdotal reports indicate the footage is likely to cause a significant reaction.
- There are reports that large police departments, including the Chicago Police Department, are cancelling regular days off and going to extended shifts in anticipating of potential unrest.
Our team can respond immediately with the following capabilities:
- Bespoke intelligence reports and briefings
- Armed or unarmed security personnel
- Satellite communications (phone and wireless internet)
- Emergency medical and tele-medical support
- Logistical support
- Evacuation by air and ground where feasible
Click below to contact Global Guardian's 24/7 Operations Center or call us directly at +1 (703) 566-9463.