On the morning of 09 May, Pakistan's former Prime Minister and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) political party leader, Imran Khan, was arrested while in court in Islamabad. A small team of the Pakistan Rangers paramilitary force detained him on multiple charges. Shortly afterward, large-scale protests by PTI activists erupted in several areas nationwide including in Lahore, Faisalabad, Islamabad, Karachi, and Peshawar. Protests have turned violent in several cities as security forces clash with Khan supporters. All protests and political rallies should be avoided.
- Security forces fired tear gas and water cannons to disperse PTI protesters during clashes on Shahrah-e-Faisal Road in Karachi. At least two vehicles were set ablaze.
- Khan supporters blocked roads in the Liberty Chowk area of Lahore.
- PTI activists rallied outside the Pakistani General Army Headquarters in Islamabad.
- Security forces fired tear gas at Khan supporters in Faisalabad.
- Urban transit is facing disruptions across Pakistan due to the protests.
- The Punjab regional government issued a ban on protests for two days.
- The Balochistan regional government issued a protest ban for a period of 15 days.
- Unrest will continue in the near-term as outrage over Khan's arrest remains top of mind for his supporters. Heavy-handed tactics by security forces will likely inflame Khan's supporters further.
- Nationwide rallies already planned by the PTI ahead of scheduled 14 May provincial elections in Punjab will take on additional significance and even more unrest and violence is likely.
Our team can respond immediately with the following capabilities:
- Bespoke intelligence reports and briefings
- Armed or unarmed security personnel
- Satellite communications (phone and wireless internet)
- Emergency medical and tele-medical support
- Logistical support
- Evacuation by air and ground where feasible
Click below to contact Global Guardian's 24/7 Operations Center or call us directly at +1 (703) 566-9463.